Be Safe briefings
They include information to increase staff awareness of safety.
These briefings are discussed at the monthly operational meetings. Then they are cascaded to all operations staff, and printed out for those who do not use a computer regularly.
The March 2018 Be Safe brief (356kb pdf) includes:
- lessons learned – always have three points of contact
- reminder re personal liability if you are unsafe
- Women in VGC network launch
The February 2018 Be Safe brief (178kb pdf) includes:
- a reminder about newly-electrified OLE around County End and Gidea Park
- smart motorway speed cameras
- lessons learned on temporary covers over excavations.
February’s safety alert (237kb pdf) is on language and behaviour: if you are concerned about someone’s language or behaviour on site, whether or not it is directed at you, please raise it with your supervisor immediately.
The January 2018 Be Safe brief (472kb pdf) includes:
- plant-people interface
- banter on site
- winter vomiting bug
The December 2017 Be Safe brief (772kb pdf) includes:
- injury trends (still led by backs and fingers)
- lessons learned – beware putting yourself at risk by being casual about your work
- being aware of modern slavery
The November 2017 Be Safe brief (525kb pdf) includes:
- lessons learned
- injury trends (backs and fingers)
- Movember encouraging conversations around physical and mental health
The October 2017 Be Safe brief (256kb) includes:
- a warning about the clocks changing and increased risk of accidents
We have also started doing themed safety alerts. October’s alert (458kb pdf) is on mental health.
The September 2017 Be Safe brief (266kb) includes:
- knives with exposed blades
- please note that Elizabeth line trains do not have yellow fronts
The August 2017 Be Safe brief (303kb pdf) includes:
- If a task method changes
- Slips, trips and falls
- Heart disease, hypertension and diabetes
The July 2017 Be Safe brief (276kb pdf) includes:
- Suspicious behaviour protocol
- Managing change
- Fairness inclusion and respect
The June 2017 Be Safe brief (350kb pdf) includes:
- Healthy eating – 5 a day
- Summer working
- Network Rail’s revised standard 019
The May 2017 Be Safe brief (377kb pdf) which includes:
- Mental health awareness week
- ‘Fire all out’ reports
The April 2017 Be Safe brief (507kb pdf) includes:
- Key influencer training
- Waste management
Our commitment to health and safety – not just senior management, but embedded throughout the organisation – is an indication of how highly the VGC Group values all staff.