I’m busy planning a safety stand-down day for everyone working in VGC Construction. 24 members of the team will get together next Monday (19 June) at Cardinal House for safety training by HSQE manager Richard Wheeler. It will also be good for us to get to know one another better.
We’re really pleased that Jason from CVU, one of our major clients, will also be attending.
The core message of the day is Be right and Be safe.
That means 100% safety while working efficiently.
We will have four sections, starting with buried services. We’ll talk about:
- lessons learned
- risk management processes
- the latest developments in the safety forum where we share best practice.
We’ll have group discussions and then review these before the first coffee break.
The next session is on manual handling.
Our HSQE dashboard shows that hands and feet are the areas of the body most at risk of injury, so we will focus on hand injuries in particular. By making people aware of the statistics for manual handling injuries as well as doing intensive training, we aim to get the injury rate right down. After reviewing the group discussions we’ll have another brief break.
Session three, on environment, ecology and sustainability, will be split across the lunch break.
The day will finish with a session on behavioural safety and VGC’s Be Safe by Choice campaign.
The day’s agenda:
- 07:30 – breakfast and welcome
- 08:00 – buried services – presentation, group discussion, review
- 09:15 – manual handling – course, test, discussion, review
- 11:30 – environment, ecology and sustainability
- 12:30 – lunch
- 13:00 – environment, ecology and sustainability continued
- 14:30 – Be Safe by Choice behavioural safety
If you’re interested in sharing best practice on construction, I’d love to hear from you – do get in touch.