The Waterloo and City line opened in 1898 to provide a direct link between the City of London and Waterloo stations. It is the shortest line on the London Underground network being only one and a half miles long and having only two stations. In 2006 the line was closed for 5 months to enable the complete replacement of trackwork by Balfour Beatty. The closure created an opportunity to undertake other works and VGC secured the contract to undertake station refurbishment works at Bank and Waterloo Underground Stations during the closure period.
The work included the removal of existing walls, floors and ceilings to enable new finishes to be applied. The refurbishment involved new surface finishes, doors, door furniture, lighting and barriers. All works were undertaken in compliance with London Underground’s standards for Section 12 stations.
This work was successfully undertaken using shift working to enable the programme to be achieved to meet the main contractor’s programme for reopening the line. It demonstrates both VGC’s capability of working within the stringent requirements of Section 12 and its ability to resource and manage a twenty four hour, seven day week work programme.