- January 2017
- September 2017
- Alstom Costain JV
- VGC contract value
The project provided reinforced concrete bases for two autotransformers and switchgear mast base stations.
The switching stations will house autotransformers for Crossrail.
Works, part of projects C644 and C610, included
- Site clearance including excavations and mass earthworks
- Temporary works design and management
- Deep, surface and track drainage
- Earthing mat installation
- Ducting, troughing and cable route management
- Reinforced concrete foundations and retaining walls
- Kerbing, surfacing and access roads, marking and pavement drainage
- Electrified palisade fencing, Network Rail boundary fencing and Armco barriers
- UTX chamber installation
- Track formation and ballast installation
To overcome severe space restrictions, the team devised an innovative design for a retaining wall, braced solely within the small site. This allowed the Network Rail fence alongside to be maintained throughout. Site security was strictly maintained with 24-hour CCTV to eliminate the risk of vandalism.
The project team used a proprietory formwork system to reduce pours for the main retaining wall installation works from 33 to 12.
Deliveries and concrete pours were carefully planned to maintain ongoing access to the Network Rail depot next to the works.
“The works at Westbourne Park have been complicated by the site interfaces with buried services, preparations for specialist deliveries for other projects, and partial works completion from previous works. VGC’s site team has overcome these challenges and presents a good quality of workmanship.”
Electrical works manager – ATC
Site managers Donal McCarthy and Carlos Allca received Crossrail values awards for collaboration. “They have vastly improved on the quality of the works and delivered on their promises.”
Field engineer – Crossrail