EU working in the UK? We’d like you to stay!
If you are from the European Union and want to keep working in the UK, you can apply free for settlement status.
By May 2019, nearly 200,000 people had already got their UK EU settlement status.
If you have a biometric passport or ID document
If your passport or ID document has the biometric symbol (right), you can do the online application using an Android phone. Allow at least half an hour.
You will need
- your national identity NI number
- your biometric passport
- an android phone.
Your phone must have NFC (near field communications) enabled. Check in Settings > Connections.
If you do not have an Android phone, you can use a friend’s. There is also a list on the Home Office website of places including registry offices you can visit to scan in your documents. Otherwise you have to post your documents to the Home Office.
First, download the app
It will give you step-by-step instructions.
- First, it will take a photo of your document and add the information to your application. (If you are using a passport, use the two inside pages with your photo.)
- Then it will scan the biometric chip to confirm the details are correct. Close your passport, and slide your phone slowly over it until it recognises the chip. This can take a while – try not to rush. The app will beep when it recognises the chip.
- Then the app will take a scan of your face to make sure you match the photo on your passport.
- Finally, you will use the app to take a digital photo of yourself.
Then you will have to go back to the website to finish the application.
That is easiest done on your phone – go to your browser from the app.
- Fill in the details, including your name and address.
- You will need to decide on three security questions in case they want to phone you.
- When you think you’ve finished, they will send you an email. You must open this to verify the email address.
If you can prove that you have lived in the UK for more than five years, you should get ‘settled’ status. If you get ‘pre-settled’ status, you can apply again: make sure this time you scan and upload the right evidence to get settled status.
You must use the Android app if you are not in the UK at the time when you apply.
If you don’t have a biometric passport or ID document
You have to send your documents in by post.
You will need to start your EU settlement application online.
Have your ID documents with you before you start. Remember, you can only use the post method from inside the UK.
We suggest that you use recorded delivery to post your identity documents.
Do you need to apply?
You need to apply if:
- You are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
- You are not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, but your family member is.
- You were born in the UK but are not a British citizen – you can check if you’re a British citizen if you’re not sure
- have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
- are a family member or carer of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who does not need to apply – including if they’re from Ireland
- are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen with a British citizen family member.
(The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.)
You need to apply if you do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If you do have indefinite leave to remain, you’ll usually have a stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office saying this.
More information on the government website
The instructions are available in 26 EU languages: see https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/eu-settlement-scheme-translated-information-materials
You must apply before 30 June 2021.