VGC has been shortlisted in the Community Engagement category of the 2020 Construction News Specialists Awards.
The awards recognise firms that have put community engagement at the heart of their business or a particular project. They have gone above and beyond what might have been expected. And their programmes have provided lasting benefits and legacy to the local community.
- Understanding of local issues and challenges
- Clear initiatives to improve engagement
- Strong leadership and legacy planning
- Feedback from the community and stakeholders
Our entry described VGC’s ‘Go beyond the gates’ programme, which supports ex-offenders into sustainable employment. Finding work for offenders near to release helps break the cycle of unemployment, homelessness and reoffending. The programme therefore has a lasting positive impact on the people themselves and their local communities.
- Erith Contractors
- Mabey Hire
- Montel Civil Engineering
- Munnelly Support Services
- Natta Building Company
- VGC Group.
To decide the winners, all finalists will give presentations to a judging panel in February 2020. The panel will be drawn from leaders of the UK’s major projects, who include:
- Dale Turner, director of procurement and supply chain, Skanska UK
- Louisa Finlay, deputy managing director (London), Kier
- Liz Baldwin, project director, Mott Macdonald
- Alan Brookes, group executive – Europe, Middle East and UK, Arcadis
- Graham Edgell, director of sustainability and procurement, Morgan Sindall
Construction News editor Lem Bingley said: “The UK construction sector is a significant pillar of the national economy. It rests on the unique skills of specialist contractors to deliver at every stage, from demolition to topping off. Our shortlisted organisations demonstrate the breadth of capabilities offered by today’s specialists as well as their ability to innovate and diversify, offer additional value to their clients.
“Finalists will now progress to our face-to-face judging stage. There they will have the chance to impress some the UK’s biggest and most significant contractors and developers.”
The winners will be announced on 25 March 2020 at a ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel, London. The full list of finalists is on the Construction News Specialist Awards website.