VGC has a policy of promoting internally which supports succession planning.
It is important to us to develop everyone at VGC to reach their full potential. We make substantial investments in training, and we promote people on site as well as office and senior management positions.
Examples of some of the people who have risen through the ranks at VGC:
Alice Dupree has been promoted from HR assistant to to HR adviser. She passed her CIPD level 3 apprenticeship in May 2020 after a challenging 18-month course.
Laura Perry was promoted to head of HR.
Richard Wheeler is now head of HSQE.
Kimberley McGinty has been promoted from skills and employment adviser to CSR manager. Kimberley achieved her City and Guilds level 3 award in education and training from Uxbridge College in August 2019. Kimberley supports schools across London with STEM career workshops and is a Team London enterprise adviser.
Mike Condon has been promoted to the role of contracts director.
Sudarshan Deshmukh has been promoted to the role of IT director.
Aasim Khan, another person who joined our graduate engineer programme in 2014, has been promoted to section engineer.
Jana Romanova has been promoted to senior resourcer, managing recruitment for our labour solutions clients.
Bobby Hayre, who joined our graduate engineer programme in 2014, has been promoted to section engineer.
Lewis Mould, who was working on our London Underground Track Partnership project running the stores and materials section for all the works on the contract, is now a recruitment support coordinator.
Joanne O’Hara is now acting payroll manager while Elaine Ryan is on maternity leave.
Dan Parkinson has been promoted to contract supervisor, focusing on Track Partnership and London Underground works. Dan joined VGC in February 2012, as groundworks foreman at Whitechapel. His team worked on the station civil engineering, including demolishing the old station, and constructing the temporary ticket hall and new stair shafts. He was promoted to section foreman in early 2013, and became a key influencer in June 2013.
- Tommy Hunter has been promoted to operations manager. Tommy joined VGC in 2003 as a trackman, and then worked as a joiner on the west coast mainline upgrade. He became a contract supervisor in March 2011, and is now operations manager for north east Yorkshire and Tyne and Wear.
- Anthony Iley has been promoted to take Tommy’s place as contracts supervisor for the north east and Yorkshire. Anthony has been with VGC for five years, starting as a trackman on the Nexus Tyne and Wear Metro project, with promotions to COSS and foreman. He also worked on the bridge renewal at Morpeth for Network Rail.
- Julie Norris joined VGC in 2009 and gained her CIPD diploma in 2015. She is now an HR adviser.
Naomi Wakefield has been promoted to HR assistant. She’ll be doing the job Julie Norris used to do, looking after people in ‘civils’ (engineering work not in rail or on London Underground). (Welcome to Lauren Wilson who has filled the vacancy and is our new receptionist.)
- Alice Dupree has been promoted to Sentinel coordinator. She manages the Sentinel systems for all rail and London Underground workers – currently over 600 people.
- Karim Elaouni is now a specialist recruitment consultant focusing on civil engineering and rail.
- Donatas Jausicas has been promoted to contract supervisor. Donatas joined VGC in 2007 as a shuttering carpenter on the East London line, rising to formwork supervisor on Blackfriars and Farringdon Crossrail.
Promotions during 2015
- Aasim Khan – promoted to site engineer
- Bobby Hayre – promoted to site engineer
Bobby and Aasim joined VGC as graduate civil engineers in August 2014 after graduating from university with degrees in Civil Engineering.They have gained valuable experience working with VGC Rail Projects on the Atkins East Kent resignalling project and Costain Crossrail Anglia project. This promotion recognises their commitment and hard work as they progress towards achieving ICE incorporated engineer status at the end of their three-year graduate programme.
- Mike Condon – promoted to contracts manager
Mike joined VGC Rail Projects in January 2015 as a project manager bringing a wealth of knowledge and experience. He was instrumental in the successful start-up of the Crossrail Costain Anglia project and close out of the Atkins East Kent resignalling project and has made a valuable contribution in winning framework tenders such as the London North Western with Network Rail.
- James Andrews – promoted to recruitment support officer
James joined VGC in May 2010 as a site operative. He worked his way up to lead site person in charge of safety at Whitechapel Crossrail, where he won a safety award.
- Theresa Harrington – promoted to office manager / personal assistant to the executive chairman
- Joanne O’Hara – promoted to senior payroll assistant
- Nicki Mason – promoted to branch manager
- Stephen Burns – promoted to business development director
- William Dalton – promoted to contracts manager
- Nick Wells – promoted to contracts supervisor