What could you do to be mentally healthier?
These questions below can help you understand if you are doing enough for your mental (and physical) wellbeing.
- Do I sleep well?
- Do I spend enough time with friends and family?
- Do I eat healthy food?
- Do I exercise regularly?
- Do I take suitable breaks?
- Do I spend time outside / close to nature / doing hobbies or sport?
Work-related stress in the construction industry can come from heavy workloads, long working hours, travel, being away from family, job insecurity, money worries, tight deadlines and high risk activities.
Each ‘no’ answer suggests where you could look after yourself better.
Signs that something could be wrong:
- Low morale
- Poor timekeeping
- Not motivated to work
- Poor productivity and decision making
- Felling stressed/mood swings
- Using alcohol or drugs to cope
- Changes in appearance
- Sudden weight gain or loss
- Constipation / diarrhoea
- Indigestion / heartburn / ulcers
- Heart problems
- High or low blood pressure
Do not neglect the things that keep you well.
It can be hard with the demands of work and personal life, but try to:
- Keep active
- Eat well
- Drink sensibly
- Avoid caffeine late in the evening
- Wind down before bed and avoid electronic devices, especially in the hour before
- Do something you are good at
- Take a break
- Keep in touch with friends and family
- Talk to friends and colleagues if you feel stressed – don’t bottle it up!
- Ask for help