Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to treating people fairly and having a workforce that reflects our community.
What we believe
We believe that everybody should be treated impartially and given a fair chance.
We value individual differences. We aim to create an inclusive, nurturing environment where everybody can achieve their potential. This strengthens our community and encourages innovation through sharing different perspectives and ideas.
We know that positive social change takes actions, not words. That’s why we work to improve social inclusion and close the opportunity gap through work experience, apprenticeship and recruitment programmes. This supports wider society and our work community, and means that we recruit the best people for the job.
As well as treating people fairly and being supportive of people’s differences, we insist on respect for everyone. Our policy of continual development and internal promotion benefits everyone: people, teams, clients and communities.
Decision-making and measurement
To ensure we meet our commitments to equality, diversity and inclusion, we measure, monitor and review our activities, and those of our suppliers and subcontractors.
- We won a Crossrail Sustainability award for ‘maximising employment opportunities’.
- In an inspection by the National Skills Academy for Rail (NSAR) VGC scored “Outstanding” in the field of equality and diversity.
- VGC is a signatory to the REC Youth Employment Charter.
- Our apprenticeship programme offers NVQ level 2 and 3 placements in areas including general construction operations, human resources, procurement and general business administration.
- Our work experience programme allows school pupils to gain an appreciation of the career opportunities in the industry.
- We offer internships and summer work placements to college students.
- We were awarded equality accredited employment status by the Equality Accreditation Service, following our achievements on the Olympic Park.