VGC projects were commissioned by Milestone to carry out highway improvement works to enable the A40 Oxford North development which will comprise of new residential, employment, and community space.
The highway improvement works along the A40 include a reduction in speed limit, introduction of street landscaping and tree planting, provision of crossing facilities, an eastbound bus lane, two new bus stops, on-carriageway cycle lanes, a shared footway and cycleway facility, new signal-controlled access junction and two new T-junctions.
We were operating on multiple work fronts with numerous skilled teams carrying out the works to the highest standard of quality.
Our experienced Highways team worked collaboratively with Milestone to achieve the following:
Progression of the project from September 2021 to May 2022
- Site Setup and Enabling works
- New Deep Drainage to both sides of the highway
- Excavation for the road box formation
- Installation of communications and electrical ducting and chambers
- Install of road crossings – Drainage/communications and Electrical
- Install of kerbs and edgings along the full length of the works
- Install of footpaths and signaled crossings
- Form a new central reservation area
- Installation of all landscaping and street furniture
- Maintain flow of traffic as the highway was kept live for all the works
- Carryout detailed installation of an attenuation pond and flood alleviation drainage
The project was delivered to the highest quality on a very strict timeline.
In 2021, QS William Donnelly was recognised for working collaboratively in supporting Milestone to save over 220,000kg CO2 equivalent emissions on the project by using HVO fuel supply to all items of plant.
In March 2021, Richard Wheeler, Head of HSQE, delivered Fairness, Inclusion and Respect training to all of the operatives on the A40 project.