Our board of directors has taken part in the VGC Academy intermediate programme, which is part-funded by the CITB.
The course builds on the foundation modules completed previously. While these were run at Cardinal House during 2019 and the start of 2020 (see photo left), the intermediate training on 28 October took place online.
Praising the course, non-executive director Bob Webb said: “The three hours went very quickly. Even though it was online, we were all engaged and interested, and everyone participated and contributed.”
The VGC Academy intermediate programme supports and develops specific competencies from the VGC behavioural competency framework. These include client focus, teamwork, achieving through commitment, diplomatic sensitivity, innovation and adaptability, advocacy and development focus.
Module 1: Personal effectiveness part 2
- Emotional intelligence part 2 (building on foundation modules)
- Diplomatic sensitivity
- Decision making
- Responding to challenge and change part 2
- Giving and receiving feedback part 2
- Personal development
- Effective self-reflection
Module 2: Delighting clients and driving action
- What is it to ‘go beyond’?
- Anticipating client needs
- How to ensure client satisfaction
- Internal vs external customers and clients
- Taking responsibility and control
- Continuous improvement
- Using initiative
- Collaboration in team working
- Managing up
- What is ‘professional’ behaviour?
The intermediate modules, like the foundation level courses, are delivered by our training partner Christine Collins of Onion People Development.
Earlier this month we revealed our success in our application to the CITB leadership and management development fund. The fund enables construction companies to invest in developing the leadership, management or supervisory skills of their staff. The funding is helping us to move forward with the VGC Academy courses which were paused because of coronavirus. Read more in our news release (12 October).