We are pleased to be playing a key part in a new construction gateway opportunity for new entrants to the construction industry.
The West Midlands Combined Authority is funding an intensive six-week pre-employment training programme, starting on 20 April.
It will provide up to 30 people with training towards CSCS and CPCS qualifications, plus a paid work trial.
The course, delivered at two Birmingham locations, offers people the opportunity to gain CSCS and CPCS qualifications to work on the Balfour Beatty Vinci N1 and N2 project section of HS2 in Birmingham. Candidates have the opportunity to gain
- Level 1 Award in Health and Safety for a Construction Environment, progressing onto CSCS training and testing. Those who pass the test will gain the CSCS card which entitles the holder to work on key construction sites across the UK.
- Short specialist courses in abrasive wheels, small tools, CAT and genny, fire marshal and first aid
- CPCS accredited A73 plant and vehicle traffic marshal.
VGC trainers will deliver some modules of the course, including fairness, inclusion and respect, mental health training and modern slavery.
After the four-week course, all qualifying course attendees will be offered a guaranteed two-week work trial.
The trial wage is £10.88 per hour. At the end of the trial, all candidates will be offered interviews. Successful candidates will be offered long-term work on HS2 at full rates.
People who are interested in this opportunity should book for one of the four information sessions.
- 16 April 2021 at 09:30 and 11:30 at South and City College, Fordrough Lane, Bordesley Green, Birmingham, B9 5NA. Contact Jean Brandon on 0121 702 1093 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 19 April 2021 at 09:30 and 11:30 at RMF Construction Training Academy, Houndsfield Lane, Birmingham, B47 5QR. Contact John Chilhoro on 07514 494509 or email email@example.com
The course starts on 20 April.
Delivery manager James Burke and labour manager Mitch Turbitt will attend the information sessions. Mitch said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for local people to get access to the job of their dreams. Starting on HS2, they’ll get great experience leading to a long-term sustainable career in our industry.”