We were commissioned to manage this stand-alone project: traction power GRIP 5-8 substations and SCADA TPSS.
Gidea Park mid-point auto transformer site (MPATS) scope of civil engineering work:
- temporary fencing, boundary security fencing and Armco barriers
- surveying and service investigations
- removal of lead paint from the decommissioned E&P building, followed by demolition of the building
- relocation of points heating and buffer stop lighting cables
- excavation and construction of reinforced concrete transformer bases
- pipework and drainage ancillaries
- new roadways and hardstands, concrete fire wall and bunds
- troughing and ducting installation
In July 2018 our sites at Gidea Park and Shenfield were awarded Network Rail stars, recognising excellent health, safety and environmental risk control. Balfour Beatty rail’s traction manager thanked our teams for their “ongoing commitment and drive on both sites for safety and programme.”
Part of the project involved the demolition of a brick-built E&P building.
VGC commissioned a specialist contractor to remove asbestos materials.
After extensive work, collaborating with the client and two specialist lead removal companies, the team successfully reduced costs by using grid-mapping to pinpoint specific areas containing high concentrations of lead paint.
Balfour Beatty commended our team for their input and collaboration, which improved safety for the working operatives and led to substantial savings in waste management.
About the project
Client Balfour Beatty is managing this stand-alone project for Network Rail on behalf of Crossrail. The project is outside the main Crossrail surface project.
The project will upgrade the existing 25 kv supplies on the Great Western and Great Eastern railways to support the extra train services run by Crossrail. There will be eight new autotransformer distribution sites.
After we have built the infrastructure, other sub-contractors will deliver the substation equipment, and connect up the telecommunications, LVAC power, overhead line equipment, ATF, SCADA circuits and equipment control.