Places where you can get financial advice

Places where you can get financial advice

If you are worried about your finances, these places can help.

The Money Advice Service (0800 139 777) offers guidance on how to deal with the financial effects of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Financial Conduct Authority has advice on insurance, mortgages and accessing cash.

Debt Camel advises people to ask for help, rather than borrow money.

Money Saving Expert has advice on mortgages, credit cards, rent and bills.

Citizens Advice has information and advice if you can’t pay your bills because of the coronavirus outbreak.

National Debtline (0808 808 4000) offers a webchat service for personal advice.

StepChange Debt Charity also offers advice and information. If you don’t feel you can talk to someone on the phone, they have an anonymous, free, online tool which suggests actions you can take, depending on your circumstances.

The government is arranging support for businesses and workers affected by COVID-19.

To claim sick pay (SSP) for COVID-19 related absence

Remember, if you can not go to work, you must always report your absence in the normal way through your VGC line manager. Also email to log this.

To claim SSP:

To claim SSP, you must complete a self-certification form (SC2) or the NHS self-isolation form, and forward it to

Go to our COVID-19 absence reporting and sick pay page for more details.

Be aware of criminals trying to take advantage of the outbreak.

The National Cyber Security Centre warns that links to ‘important updates’ can infect your computer with its own virus. Scammers may sell fake equipment, or pretend to be organisations like the World Health Organization to request donations.

The Financial Conduct Authority has advice on how to spot scams.

Citizens Advice has an online checker to help check if something might be a scam.