Safe working information for all VGC staff working during coronavirus
Please make sure you understand all the guidance below to keep yourself, your colleagues and your family safe.
If you or anyone in your household has symptoms of coronavirus (fever, a new continuous cough, or a change in your sense of smell or taste) please get a coronavirus test.
Follow the process for absence reporting.
Please follow government guidance on the isolation period required.
Please fill in a medical self-declaration
We need up-to-date medical information for everyone, even if your health has not changed. Please go to the online medical self-declaration form – fill in your email address in the first screen, then fill in the form that will come up.
Everyone safe and respected
No matter how work changes because of COVID-19, we all still treat each other fairly and with respect at all times. We also need to continue to watch out for signs of modern slavery or forced labour.
If you see anyone being harassed or bullied at work, or suspect someone may be a victim of modern slavery, please let us know. Speak to your manager, or fill in the confidential whistleblowing form.
Wash your hands thoroughly – before you travel and again as soon as you get to your destination.
Please avoid public transport.
Cycle or walk if you can.
If you have to travel on public transport, you must wear a mask. Plan the timing so you can avoid crowds.
- Unless you are travelling with members of your own household, you must not have more than a set number of people in your vehicle.
- Wash down all surfaces which people touch, and the keys, between each use.
See our travelling safely guidance for full details.
- Use soap and water if possible, or hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available.
- If you use hand sanitiser, rub your hands together for at least 20 seconds and make sure it is dry before you touch anything.
- Wash your hands after you touch shared surfaces, after using the toilet, and before you eat, drink or smoke.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Stay at least two metres apart as much as possible.
- Avoid physical contact with anyone else.
Coughing and sneezing
- If you cough or sneeze, catch it in a tissue or the inside of your elbow. Safely dispose of tissues in a bin as soon as you can.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after handling used tissues.
Watch this short video to see how the four Be safe rules apply to coronavirus.
- See the full Construction Leadership Council site operating procedures for more details.
- Ensure your desk is kept clear, and clean all workstation equipment at the start and end of your working day.
- Do not touch handles or handrails unless you need to.
- Clean up after yourself – do not leave dirty crockery, cutlery or waste packaging for anyone else.
- Only one person may use the toilet facilities at a time.
- Do not pass on the stairs – wait on the landing.
Video for staff who need to come into an office:
Download the four guidance documents in pdf format:
- Safe working for site staff (42kb pdf)
- Safe working for office staff (49kb pdf)
- Safe travel on public transport (78kb pdf)
- Vehicle cleaning and social distancing (82kb pdf)
If you have any suggestions for how we can work more safely or more efficiently, please fill in the form on the innovations portal.
Risk assessments (updated 1 Dec 2021)
- Driving at work during COVID-19 risk assessment (164kb pdf)
- Contracting activities during COVID-19 risk assessment (110kb pdf)