Safe working information for all VGC staff working during coronavirus
Please make sure you understand all the guidance below to keep yourself, your colleagues and your family safe.
If you or anyone in your household has symptoms of coronavirus (fever, a new continuous cough, or a change in your sense of smell or taste) please do not go out at all for at least 14 days.
Follow the process for absence reporting.
As part of the process, you’ll be asked if you want to test for coronavirus. If you don’t have the virus, you won’t have to carry on self-isolating – you could go straight back into work.
Please fill in a medical self-declaration
We need up-to-date medical information for everyone, even if your health has not changed. Please go to the online medical self-declaration form – fill in your email address in the first screen, then fill in the form that will come up.
Wash your hands thoroughly – before you travel and again as soon as you get to your destination.
Please avoid public transport.
Cycle or walk if you can.
If you have to travel on public transport, wear a mask, and try to avoid crowds.
- Unless you are travelling with members of your own household, you must not have more than a set number of people in your vehicle.
- Wash down all surfaces which people touch, and the keys, between each use.
See our travelling safely guidance for full details.
- Use soap and water if possible, or hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available.
- If you use hand sanitiser, rub your hands together for at least 20 seconds and make sure it is dry before you touch anything.
- Wash your hands after you touch shared surfaces, after using the toilet, and before you eat, drink or smoke.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Stay at least two metres apart as much as possible.
- Avoid physical contact with anyone else.
Coughing and sneezing
- If you cough or sneeze, catch it in a tissue or the inside of your elbow. Safely dispose of tissues in a bin as soon as you can.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after handling used tissues.
Watch this short video to see how the four Be safe rules apply to coronavirus.
- See the full Construction Leadership Council site operating procedures for more details.
- The desks on either side of you and opposite you should be vacant.
- Ensure your desk is kept clear, and clean all workstation equipment at the start and end of your working day.
- Do not touch handles or handrails unless you need to.
- Clean up after yourself – do not leave dirty crockery, cutlery or waste packaging for anyone else.
- Only one person may use the toilet facilities at a time.
- Do not pass on the stairs – wait on the landing.
Please ask your line manager or labour manager if you have any questions.
Download the four guidance documents in pdf format:
- Guidance note – safe working for site staff (42kb pdf)
- Guidance note – safe working for office staff (49kb pdf)
- Guidance note – safe travel on public transport (78kb pdf)
- Guidance note – vehicle cleaning and social distancing (82kb pdf)
If you have any suggestions for how we can work more safely or more efficiently, please fill in the form on the innovations portal.