Health and safety awards
We are proud of our people’s attitude to safety, and of the awards which we’ve gained. Some of those are listed below.
- After VGC topped the sub-contractor league table seven times in 2014, we won the ‘Contractor of the Year 2014’ award for the Costain Skanska Crossrail works at Bond Street (see photo below). Then we came to of the sub-contractor league table every single month throughout the whole of 2015. We topped the league every month the trophy has been awarded in 2016. There is an explanation of how performance is measured for these awards on our ‘measuring safety’ page.
- Costain Skanska JV also give individual safety awards. Dumper driver Pastorel Caplea (pictured below) was given an environment award in March 2015. In October 2015 Mohammed Hasan and Adrian Iliuta received observation awards. Bereket Kidane has received three awards.
- In September and October 2015 we were top of the subcontractor safety league for Ferrovial Agoman at Heathrow Bravo taxiway works.
- VGC’s Dai Williams was named Supervisor of the Year at the Heathrow Safety Development Awards on 29 January 2015. Dai and key influencer Jaskaran Singh were shortlisted for further Heathrow Safety awards in January 2016.
- Ferrovial Agroman gave individual health and safety awards for work at Heathrow Bravo Taxiway to Jaskaran Singh, Carl Dent, Elias Woldeyes and Andrew Burgess.
- Charmaine Bailey, quality manager, received two Network Rail Quality Coin awards.
- Ciara Pryce, group services director, collected an award from NSARE for ‘outstanding’ training delivery in December 2014.
- VGC won the Training category in the inaugural Infrastructure 21 awards.
- VGC won a safety award from Skanska Balfour Beatty for the M25 section 5 works.
- We won a sub-contractor HSE award from Skanska for the M1 junction 19 project in August 2014.
- Our team was awarded first place in Balfour Beatty’s track partnership supplier performance league table for January 2015.
- The Atkins SAG (Safety Action Group) selected Shane Jupp and his team of Steven Hodges, Josh Cormack and James Piercy for their January 2015 safety award for carrying out EKR2 works at Gillingham in a safe and orderly manner. In March Stores manager Paddy Collins won a project safety award for his high standards at the Gas House Road compound.