VGC Projects is upgrading two bus lay-bys on the A405 north orbital road at St Albans.
The works are located on a very busy arterial road between the M1 and the M25. The contract was to make the lay-bys longer and wider, and to build two new bus shelters.
The project required narrow lanes traffic management, road and individual lane closures.
The works comprised:
- Demolish three existing bus shelters
- Demolish and replace a 9 metre high traffic sign
- Remove existing footpath and construct new asphalt footpaths
- Install new concrete kerbs and edgings
- Excavate and install new concrete bases
- Install new below-ground drainage and manholes
- Install new below-ground power ducting and equipment foundations
- Excavate and install new concrete bus lay-bys.
The project has been meticulously planned to ensure that key milestones and completion dates are met.
The works are part of an M25 call off framework agreement (COFA) with client Skanska for Highways England. Two audits in March 2019 by Skanska and Connect Plus Services (Skanska’s client) gave very positive feedback. This included: “It was clear as soon as we entered the site that the project team had safety at the forefront of their minds”.