- July 2019
- May 2020
- Bam Nuttall Morgan Sindall JV
Our teams are involved in the smart motorway upgrade of the M62.
Our client Bam Nuttall Morgan Sindall JV (bmJV) is carrying out the project on behalf of Highways England. It will improve the 9.8-mile section of the M62 between junctions 10 and 12 to an all-lane running smart motorway.
Our workforce is helping to upgrade the central reservation concrete barrier and install overhead gantries.
Neil Roberts and Mark Bridge, gangers, are two of our team on the project. We want our people to develop their careers, so labour manager John Daly invited them to expand their skills to motorways, after they completed several years’ work for VGC on Network Rail’s north-west electrification project.
About the project
The M62 motorway links the north-west, Yorkshire and Humberside.
The stretch between the M6 and the M60 is a key strategic route between Liverpool and Manchester. It is used by around 120,000 vehicles every day. More than 350 people are working on the latest stage of the project which involves major construction work to install new giant overhead gantries, CCTV masts, safety barriers and lighting columns.
The project involves:
- replacing the existing steel central reservation with a concrete barrier, increasing safety and requiring less maintenance
- modifying more than 80 manholes to improve drainage
- removal of six overhead gantries
- creating 11 new emergency refuge areas
- installing 11 new full gantries and 30 new part-way cantilever gantries across the carriageway as well as 39 smaller journey information gantries
- installing 42 CCTV cameras
The full smart motorway expected to be completed by spring 2020.