- September 2017
- April 2018
- Volker Wessels UK
- Tottenham, London N17
- VGC contract value
The contract was to install third line track drainage at Northumberland Park West Anglia mainline rail station.
The project team used an excavator slew and boom restrictor to comply with Network Rail ALO (any line open) working procedures.
The project required excavation and removal of spoil to a designated storage area. Drainage was installed to the approved design adjacent to the running rail (up Cambridge line).
As required, work was kept more than 3m from the nearest running line and did not affect the track support zone.
- Pre-installation survey and dilapidation report
- Management of the temporary works design and installation
- Delivery and removal of materials, plant and equipment
- Excavation and drainage installation activities up to 3m deep for carrier and perforated drainage systems
- Installation of a hydrobrake system
- Connections into the existing culverts
- Backfill and reinstatement of multiple layers
- Clean, test, inspect and handover
The project is part of Network Rail’s Lee Valley rail programme, which includes adding a third track between Stratford and Angel Road, enabling two additional trains per hour. Read more about the £140m programme on the Network Rail website.