- December 2017
- October 2018
- Balfour Beatty
- VGC contract value
- £2 million
Our teams are providing the civil engineering infrastructure for a new sub-station at Shenfield.
The scope for the new sectioning auto-transformer site (SATS) includes:
- site investigation, demolition works, devegetation and site clearance
- excavation and construction for reinforced concrete foundations for the new electrical structures, including walls, bases, slabs, piles and footings.
- drainage works including pipework, manholes, pipework ancillaries, chambers, soakaways and duct exit chambers
- all roads, paving, hardstanding and walkways
- palisade fencing, access gates, protective boundaries, vehicle barriers and handrails
- cable trough routes (concrete and GRP troughing) and associated cable route ancillaries
- a piled king post retaining wall and staircases including temporary works designs
- earth mat and tapes.
In July 2018 our sites at Shenfield and Gidea Park were awarded Network Rail stars, recognising excellent health, safety and environmental risk control.
The Shenfield site scored 93.06%, with notes on
• good awareness of risks and controls
• suitable site documentation
• a well-managed fenced exclusion zone for the piling works.
Balfour Beatty’s manager thanked our teams for their “ongoing commitment and drive on both sites for safety and programme.”
About the project
Client Balfour Beatty is managing this stand-alone project for Network Rail on behalf of Crossrail.
The projects will upgrade the existing 25 kv supplies on the Great Western and Great Eastern railways to support the extra Crossrail services. The sub-station will convert existing booster transformer return conductor supplies to 20-0-25 kv autotransformer feeds.
After we have built the infrastructure, other sub-contractors will deliver the substation equipment, and connect up the LVAC power, OLE, ATF, telecommunications, SCADA circuits and equipment control.