Client Skanska commissioned us to carry out a major upgrade of the public realm in the Town Mills area of Andover on behalf of Hampshire County Council.
The project involved pedestrianising a town centre road, and upgrading an ancillary car park. We landscaped an area of 800 square metres, planting several mature trees which we protected with appropriate landscaping and planters.
Challenges included complicated excavation works around a large number of charted and un-charted services. We managed these by introducing non-intrusive excavation methods, such as a vacuum excavator. All ground-breaking was carefully supervised, and manual excavation was carried out wherever possible.
In this busy town centre, we introduced clear exclusion zones and walkways to maintain public access to local businesses, successfully working within a small site with limited storage and restricted access.
Because the project involved working next to the River Anton, we ensured strict environmental controls, including a custom-made protective barrier. Our team was also careful not to have any adverse impact on neighbouring listed buildings.
Our client commended the team, led by project engineer Jack Davies and supervisors Vlad Birtalan and Mihai Gligor, for their focus on safety, especially their careful execution of all excavation works.
The scope included:
- 500 square meters of traditional tegula block paving
- 400m of granite conservation kerbs and edgings
- 17 new benches for pedestrians with electrical supply to light them at night
- nine new litter bins
- eight cycle racks
- 200m ducting
- four new lighting columns
- resurfacing of car park and adding five extra disabled parking spaces
- pedestrian walkway and cycleway, with 6mm buff-coloured surface course
- 15 new road/traffic signs
The works were delivered on time and on budget to the complete satisfaction of both the client and the council.
About the area
The town of Andover in the Test valley began as a Saxon village. It was mentioned in the Domesday book in 1086, and at that time had six mills, powered by the Anton river, which ground grain to make flour. In the 18th century the town became a key stop for stagecoaches travelling between Exeter and London. Today only the Town Mills to the west of the town survives, with its mill building dating back to 1764.